Your City of Monash, Glen Waverley Ward Councillor with the perfect mix of Life Experiences, Knowledge, Skills and Background to advocate that YOUR VOICES must be heard in Council.
Approachable and pragmatic, I will be diligent in achieving the BEST VALUE outcomes for the Glen Waverley Ward Ratepayers.
I believe Councillors should be truly representative of residents / ratepayers and, should LISTEN and REACT to OUR concerns.
As a resident of Glen Waverley since 1996, I come prepared for the role of Councillor with a lifetime of experiences from which to draw knowledge and skills. My career has encompassed a range of industries – across three states. I’ve worked for multinationals, nationals and small private organisations; Local, State and Commonwealth of Governments; Not For Profits and been a retail business owner. My nine Volunteer roles in the community have been just as varied. Any Councillor whose career experience is largely limited to 16 years in one Council (and at least 9 Board Positions related to this tenure) cannot empathise with the majority of residents or local business operators.
I am passionate about saving free open spaces in Glen Waverley to preserve what is left of its garden character. The current Council is promoting a congested, overdeveloped tower city. The implications of this frenzy of approvals will not be obvious this October. But you should be aware this council has already approved 6,8,9,10,11,14,15,20 storeys within 250 m of the Glen Waverley station. This must STOP.
I believe in:
Early and ongoing engagement of community stakeholders in planning and decision making.
Expose cost-shifting. For instance – claiming there is a reduction in staff, but increasing consultancies.
Disallow unwarranted and unbudgeted ad hoc procurements engineered by self-serving individuals. Recent examples – Council Behaviour Monitor @ $10,000; Phone Poll @ $15,044.
Live streaming of Council Meetings;
No more ‘secret’ Amendments e.g. C123 to excise Central Car Park from C120
Protection for Whistle-blowers
Retention of prime Council-owned land
Stop the sale of 281 Springvale Road [aka Central Car Park] to a developer. Instead review and plan any Glen Waverley Library expansion, at its current location.
Exploring alternative scenarios
Consider alternatives for the Central Car Park site
Reviewing the Impact Of Approvals on Glen Waverley Activity Centre
Before any more high density approvals are considered identify any negative impacts of approvals which may include streetscape/ public open space/ economic/ PTV transport/ traffic /parking /liveability /safety /social/ health.
More info? Visit my ‘Hot issues’ page
A colourful career!
- Local Government – Economic Development Manager Shire of Northern Grampians [5000sqkm]
- State Government – Small Business Victoria: Victorian Tourism Business Facilitator
- Commonwealth Government- Dept of Transport and Regional Services contract via Westernport ACC Small Business Assistance Officer for Cities of Frankston and Greater Dandenong; Shires of Mornington Peninsula; Bass Coast & Cardinia
- Aged, Dementia and Palliative (Cancer) Carer
- Victorian Arabic Social Services Inc – Project Development Manager
- Lecturer in Tourism Swinburne TAFE Croydon
- Spinal Muscular Atrophy Association – A Not for Profit – Business Development and Fundraising
- Marketing Consultant for Arlington Wattle Park Chalet
- Director of Marketing Shore Inn Hotel Sydney
- NSW Tourism Award Winner Marketing & Conventions Manager Berida Manor Bowral
- Marketing Manager Geelong Performing Arts Centre
- Functions Coordinator Ambassador Geelong
- Opener – Early Learning Centre Bay City Plaza
- Clinique Consultant Myer
- Proprietor Downunderstore Australiana Retail
- Sales Consultant AV Jennings House and Land
- Petersville Research Kitchen Home Economist
- Trainee Manager Novotel Coventry UK
A Record of Successful Collaborations!
I have instigated strategic partnering with:
Regional Traders & Tourism Associations; Tourism Training Victoria; VTOA;CVTC; ATIA; ITOT; Centre for Hospitality and Tourism Research; Tourism Council Australia; Vic Roads; Vic Parks; Australian Tax Office; St John of God and Ambulance Victoria; CFA; Lifesaving Victoria; SES; Scouts Australia; Victoria Police Crime Prevention Units; VCAT; Magistrates Court; Dun & Bradstreet; National Institute of Dramatic Art; Dept Conservation & Natural Resources and Environment ; William Angliss College; SEIAA; Coca Cola; Sydney Tower etc.
Hundreds of Residential Conference Clients included, but not limited to: – Sydney Opera House Trust (twice); News Ltd Suburban Network; English Cricket Team; Leo Burnett; Caltex; BP; Greater Union; Spotless Catering; DFAT etc.
Former AMCHAM (American Chamber of Commerce in Australia) Sydney and Canberra representative for Berida Manor.
I reviewed Meeting Industry competency standards for the Australian Hospitality Review Panel.
- Monash Submitter C120; C125; Open Space; Gambling Policy; Central Car Park
- President Monash Ratepayers
- Waverley Little Athletics Centre – Food Safety Supervisor; Duty Roster LAPS promoter; Grants achiever
- Kerrie Road Neighbourhood House President & Grant achiever
- Kerrie Rd Toy Library President & Grant achiever
- Appletree Pre School Vice President
- GW/Knox Churches Soccer First Aider
- Utassy Ballet Committee Wardrobe
- 1st Highton Scouts Cub Scout Leader
- Victorian Arabic Social Services Inc – Project Development Manager 1) Sourced grant from Multicultural Victoria for Culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) Youth VASSY Project: 1a) information workshops showcasing community focused organisations 1b) School Holiday Program – sports, dance, drama and swimming tuition 2) VASSCA Project funded by Helen MacPherson Smith Trust: 2a) Aged Care training for disadvantaged adults at Bestchance Training 2b) Light Vehicle Endorsed Driving Licence training for CALD volunteer drivers of community bus